The history of Cumnock Congregational Church began in 1836 as the desire of a group of dedicated christians to worship God according to independent or Congregational principles. A few members of the Kilmarnock Congregational Church residing in and about Cumnock, on account of the distance from the Church, decided to form a Congregational Church in Cumnock. The first meeting of the new Church took place on 28th November 1838, a proud and treasured moment for the twelve founder members.
From these humble beginnings, the Church which started at the Black Bull Close Hall, purchased a building on the north side of Cumnock Square, in 1847, as a place of worship. This building had been previously used as a Parish School and the Town prison, this site is now occupied by the Clydesdale Bank.
The membership increased to the hundred mark and it was a great cause for rejoicing, together with triumph and justification for the faith and vision of those founder members, when the doors of the present building were opened for the first time on 18th February 1883 at a total cost of £1660.
Since moving into the present building, the Church has gone from strength to strength currently having up to 100 attending the morning service and a further 200 adherents.
Two halls have been constructed adjacent to the church and are fully accessible. The smaller hall also incorporates modern AV equipment.
A further hall is used by the Boys' Brigade and is located within a five minute walk from the church.
The halls can be used by community based groups outwith the times occupied by our own organisations.